Problem Reported ---------> Diagnosis ---------> Resolution
You'll find the bulk of your time concentrating around the Diagnosis part of the process.
For the CCNP TSHOOT exam you need to know process of troubleshooting an issue, which is:
- Collect information - from users/reports/monitoring
- Examine the information - such as comparing your gathered information with that of a baseline measurement
- Eliminate potential causes - this is where you'll use your knowledge about your local network
- Hypothesise a cause - Consider the most likely cause based on the information you have gathered
- Verify the hypothesis - Test/reject the theory regarding the cause
It's important to note that your should always be methodical. Do not jump about the steps otherwise you'll lose track of what you've done and cause further delay.
Experience engineers may proceed straight to step 4 if they have a good hunch about what is causing the issue however such action (known as 'Shoot from the Hip') can cause time delays if the hypothesis is wrong.